Monday, July 15, 2013

Cedi Bead Factory

Since working at Della, I've become fascinated with the process of producing. I can't walk by a piece of clothing now without inspecting it and figuring out how it's made.
 
Every item I come across in my day-to-day has been designed, produced, packaged and shipped by someone. From the hairbrush I use every day to the plastic chair I'm sitting in now, these items are all made by someone, and that never ceases to amaze me.
 
Almost everyone I encounter in Ghana have beads somewhere wrapped around some part of their body, but I had no clue how they were made.
 
My curiosity took me on an impromptu field trip to Cedi Bead Factory.
 
After a sweaty tro ride, we arrived to the factory, located in Odumase-Krobo, about two hours from Accra. I was expecting a large industrial factory, as the name suggests, but as we walked through the gate to an open field lined with concrete patios, I realized this is a much smaller scale production than I thought.
 

 
There were only five or so craftsmen at the facility. They focus on quality, not quantity, according to their directional signage. Mr. Cedi, the owner of the "factory" has traveled around the world to various craft fairs, sharing his methods with other bead fanatics. His world travels shaking hands with the best bead makers around the world line the gift shop.
 
 Cedi Bead Factory makes five kinds of beads using different methods. All beads start by mixing materials, mostly glass, into molds and melting them in a clay fireplace.




Once melted, each bead has to be individually pierced to create a hole large enough to be threaded. After the beads are cooled, they are polished in a mixture of sand and water and are ready to be sold.

I had a great time and got some vibrant blue beads, which have me thinking about a handful of DIY projects.

Processes fascinate me, and it's nice to know how the little glass beads around my wrist came to be.

- Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment